is a premier Chinese learning system crafted by Chinese teachers in the United States for Mandarin Chinese language learners at K-12 schools and universities. Designed from the start specifically for English speakers who have no or little knowledge of Mandarin Chinese, it offers a rich set of features with a slick and easy-to-use user interface.
The features of the system are distilled from the user feedback and feature requests from
the Chinese learning community. We also consult with Chinese teaching professionals, from preschools to universities, to incorporate their suggestions and ideas. Arch Chinese has become one of the most popular Chinese learning systems in the United States and other English-speaking countries. Our ultimate goal is to provide a unique, high-quality learning system to help Chinese language learners from around the world to study Mandarin Chinese in a practical, effective and enjoyable manner.
Key features include:
- Stroke order animations for ALL Chinese characters defined in the national standard character set of mainland China and 8,000 frequently-used characters in the traditional Chinese character set, which is used in Taiwan and Hong Kong.
- High quality, native-speaker recordings for every character, every stroke of the characters, every word (character compound), and every example sentence in the system! We strongly believe, for learning a new language, the learners should listen to authentic, human voices, not machine-generated or synthetic voices.
- Generating character writing worksheets with stroke sequences, radicals, English definitions and Pinyin in PDF format for offline handwriting practice. With one mouse click, you can generate the worksheets for more than 100 characters at a time instantly. The worksheets are highly customizable. You can provide your own definitions in French, Spanish, German, or any language you prefer. It is great for Chinese language teachers and parents to create Mandarin teaching and learning materials.
- Creating and printing Chinese character and word flashcards for offline study.
- Looking up characters, words and example sentences using our uniquely-designed Chinese-English dictionary. You can search by fuzzy Pinyin (Pinyin without tones), Pinyin with tone numbers, Pinyin with tone marks,Chinese Pinyin Table, Cantonese Jyutping pronunciation,Chinese character radicals, English words, English phrases, English sentences, English sentence fragments, Chinese characters, Chinese phrases or Chinese sentence fragments. Furthermore, you can mix English, Chinese character or phrase and Pinyin in your search queries. For the part you are not sure, you can even simply use a wildcard in your search query. Search results are ordered by usage frequency and complexity.
- Character formation and etymology information for all Chinese characters. For a pictophonetic character, the system indicates which component provides the sound and which component suggests the meaning.
- Using our Chinese worksheet maker to generate Chinese word worksheets with character details, including stroke sequences, radicals, and character structure information. Chinese students can use the worksheets to practice Chinese words and individual characters at the same time.
- Parts of speech and usage frequency information for all Chinese characters and example words in our
Chinese English dictionary. The user can sort the example words by Pinyin, usage frequency, and character count.
- Generating Chinese word worksheets with character stroke sequences
- High quality example sentences that demonstrate the typical sentence patterns and the usage of common characters and words. Unlike other dictionaries, our example sentences are created, one by one, by our bi-lingual Mandarin Chinese teachers, not generated by machines!
- Learn Chinese characters and words by writing them with your finger on your iPad, iPhone or any other smart phones and tablets.
- Creating Chinese word, sentence and Pinyin scrambles for use in the classroom or at home. This tool can intelligently detect the words in the sentences and generate the scrambles without breaking the words.
- Creating custom themed Chinese writing paper for seasonal activities or Chinese lesson related theme using Themed Chinese Writing Paper Creator
- Create fun and engaging Chinese character unscrambler puzzles (汉字拼图) for young learners
- Quickly creating Chinese Word to Picture Matching Worksheets for young learners.
- Using Chinese Character Animation Maker to generate embeddable and interactive character animations for both simplified and traditional Chinese characters. You can seamlessly integrate the animations into your school website, personal web pages or social media.
- Using Read it, Trace it and Paste it worksheet maker to create great worksheets for young Chinese learners to learn common Chinese characters and Chinese sentence structure.
- Create Chinese vocab list review sheets with the Chinese Vocab List Review Sheet Maker
- Using our Chinese Character Poster Maker to create stylish Chinese character wall posters with any Chinese characters. The Chinese character wall posters can be as large as 36 X 48 inch.
- Quickly generating Chinese character coloring sheets for young learners.
- Using Chinese Phrase Dictation Worksheet Maker to create Chinese phrase or sentence dictation sheets for classroom use.
- Creating nameplate-like big flashcards
- Generating classroom handouts with color coded Chinese text using our Chinese Text Color Coding tool.
- Using Snakes and Ladders Board Game Generator to
create a custom Snakes and Ladders board with your words of choice.
- powerful tools to merge, split, rename, move, and delete vocab lists.
- Reading the stroke names of the Chinese characters during the stroke order animations. Click the animated Chinese character or the Next Stroke button below the animated Chinese character to hear the native-speaker pronunciation of the strokes of the character.
- Downloading example sentence MP3 audio files to listen to them on your phone.
- Adding Chinese characters, common words and phrases from the Chinese English dictionary to generate worksheets, Bingo cards and nicely formatted paper flashcards for offline study.
- Exporting your vocabulary lists to Excel or CSV files so you are not tied to our system.
- Creating custom vocab lists, post the links on your social media or school web site to share with your students or other Chinese learners.
- Using Mandarin Chinese Tone Drill tool to practice and test your knowledge of Mandarin Chinese Pinyin and tones. Furthermore, the Chinese Tool Drill (mobile version) can
help you learn and practice not only the basic tones of Mandarin, but also Mandarin tone changes (also known as tone sandhi).
- Chinese character decomposition explorer
allows you to drill down into the character components one layer at a time. It helps you understand what components a character is made up from and how characters are related to each other
- Innovative Chinese Word Worksheet Generator, you can quickly make customized Mandarin Chinese words or sentence worksheets for your classes or children.
- Our Chinese Word Detail View allows the users to view not just the breakdown of the word, but also synonyms, antonyms, same head character words, same tail character words and the words with similar sound. The similar sound words include the words with same syllables but different tones, such as xiao3 xue2(小学, elementary school), xiao3 xue3(小雪, light snow). Further, depending on how many similar sound words available, the system intelligently identify a list of words to help users to differentiate confusing pronunciations (such as zh- vs. z-, ch- vs. c-, sh- vs. s-, -ong vs. -on, -eng vs. en and -ing vs. in).
- To support and reinforce Chinese lessons, you can quickly generate custom Bingo cards and randomized call sheets with your own Chinese characters and words. Children young and old alike can learn Chinese characters and words by playing Bingo games!
- Quickly create multiple choice, true/false and matching quizzes with our unique Chinese Quiz Maker.
- Use Chinese Character Agamograph Maker to create your own Chinese character and picture agamograph activity sheets for your Chinese class.
- Create Chinese word or Pinyin search puzzles using your own Chinese words or Pinyin for young learners with our newly-added Chinese Word Search Puzzle Generator. Besides Chinese words and Pinyin, you can use this tool to generate word search puzzles to learn vocabulary of any other languages.
- Create Chinese character cards and posters with pictures for classroom use
- Use Fill-in-the-blank Chinese Worksheet Maker to create your own custom fill-in-the-blank Chinese worksheets for classroom and homework uses
- Use Chinese Sudoku Puzzle Creator tool to generate Chinese number or character Sudoku puzzles. The puzzle difficulty level can be adjusted accordingly based on the learner's age and Chinese level.
- Use Four-in-a-Row Word Game Board Creator to create engaging Four-in-a-row board games to learn Chinese words.
- Use Chinese Sentence Copying Worksheet Maker to quickly create Chinese sentence copying worksheets. Sentence copying helps Chinese language learners master Chinese sentence structure and use commonly-used Chinese sentence patterns.
- Practice writing the Chinese words on the Chinese English Dictionary page. Our unique handwriting recognition technology is able to identify the strokes that you need to improve, instantly provide you the character writing hint, including the stroke name and how to write the stroke, and adjust the stroke strictness accordingly.
Use Chinese Lesson Printable Creator to create custom Chinese lessons and supplemental reading materials tailored to your classroom and the needs of your Chinese language students.
- Learn Chinese by playing matching games! Chinese students can use Chinese Vocab Matching Game to review and practice the Chinese vocabulary they have learned.
- Use Chinese Vocab List Creator to create a Chinese vocabulary list from any Chinese text with a single click!
- Generate Chinese synonyms and antonyms worksheets using Chinese Synonyms & Antonyms Worksheet Maker
- Use Printable Dice Maker to create printable paper dices with Chinese characters or words and Pinyin or Bopomofo. The Chinese cubes and paper dices are perfect for classroom use.
- Use Fill in the Missing Strokes Chinese Worksheet Maker to create Chinese worksheets with missing strokes or missing character radicals.
- Use our innovative Pinyin Crossword Puzzle Maker to create customizable pinyin crossword puzzles based on the Chinese words that the students are learning.
- With our Sentence Translation Worksheet Maker, you can quickly generate English-to-Chinese or Chinese-to-English translation worksheets for advanced Chinese language learners.
- Create Chinese Word Chops using Chinese Word Chop Worksheet Maker
- Use Sentence Translation Game Board Maker to create custom sentence translation game boards with a list of Chinese sentences or phrases. By playing this fun Chinese sentence translation game, the students can learn and reinforce Chinese vocabulary and sentences.
- Generate Chinese sentence making worksheets using our Sentence Making Worksheet Creator.
- Export character stroke sequences to JPEG or PNG images.
- Our Chinese English dictionary includes Cantonese Jyutping pronunciation, character input method codes of popular Chinese character input methods, and character encoding codes of commonly used character encoding methods
- Similar to the YouTube videos, the Character Animation Creator allows you to create embeddable and interactive character animations quickly. You can integrate the animations into your school or personal web pages.
- A simple and easy-to-use Chinese flashcard program to help you learn Chinese characters and words efficiently and effectively. You can use the pre-defined flashcards or create your own. With one click, you can generate word worksheets and neat paper flashcards.
- Use Pinyin Practice Sheet Maker to generate Pinyin practice sheets for Chinese learners who haven't yet started learning Chinese characters.
- Use Chinese Pinyin Converter to convert Chinese text to color-coded Pinyin and generate annotated Chinese text
- Use Roll-and-Read Game Board Maker to create a custom Roll and Read game board with a list of Chinese characters or words.
- Both Pinyin and Bopomofo (Zhuyin) are supported on the screen and on the generated worksheets, flashcards and Bingo cards.
- Provide Standard Mandarin Chinese Pinyin Table, the complete listing of all Pinyin syllables used in standard Mandarin, including possible tone variations and their pronunciations. Users can view all the Chinese characters (along with English definitions) that have identical pronunciation but different meanings.
- Feature Chinese Radical Table to help users look up a character easily. The table lists all the radicals for the simplified Chinese characters with English tool tips. You can click a radical to view the characters with the radical. For some common radicals, such as 扌 and 木, there may be hundreds of characters with the radical. The system allows you to perform two-level sorting, first level by stroke count, usage frequency or Pinyin (alphabetically), and second level by stroke count.
- Chinese Measure Words page provides the complete list of the Chinese measure words, also known as classifers, used in modern Chinese. Usage examples are also provided for each measure word.
- Convert pinyin with tone number notation to pinyin with tone marks
- Convert pinyin to Bopomofo (also known as Zhuyin).
- The complete list of all the basic strokes used in the modern Chinese characters.
- Character Stroke Order Basic Rules
- Type Chinese Online on your PC or tablets without installing a Chinese Input Method Editor (IME).
- Find Pinyin and words using our fun and engaging Chinese Pinyin Unscrambler
- Animate a character stroke by stroke, one character at a time or continuously animates all the characters you have imported or studied.
- Run on all major platforms (Windows, Mac OS X and Linux) and Android-based tablets.
- Display radicals, components, measure words, character usage frequencies, character structure information, English translations, stroke counts, Pinyin and the corresponding traditional characters (if any)
- Native-speaker pronunciations for characters, words and Pinyin syllables (including all the initials and finals).
- Look up and grab the vocabulary lists created by fellow Chinese teachers or learners.
- Fast and easy-to-use user interface
- Keep track of characters you have studied
- and more...
Many Chinese language learners and teaching professionals have found this system useful and effective. Read what some of our users and teaching professionals have said about us on the User Testimonials
page. As one user said, this system literally serves as a free 24-hour-a-day tutor. Sign up
now and learn Chinese characters
with this 24-hour-a-day Chinese tutor today!