To create a printable flashcard set,
- Enter the Chinese phrases or sentences. You can copy or paste Chinese text from other sources, such as web pages or word documents, or enter them using your faovorite Chinese Input Method Editor(IME).
- Enter the definition of the Chinese phrase or sentence in English (or your native language).
You can click the E button to let the system fill in the definition for you if the Chinese is a single character or a commonly-used word. The Chinese word should not be more than 4 characters long.
- Click the P button to add Pinyin automatically. In the case that there are multiple pronunciations for a particular character, the system will attempt to use the right one based on its context. In some cases, the user may have to edit it. Note Pinyin must be entered with tone numbers. The system will convert them to tone marks when the flashcard PDF is generated. In addition, the Pinyin syllables must be separated by a blank space. As an example, for the Chinese phrase 你去哪儿？, the Pinyin must be entered as ni3 qu4 na3 er2 ? (there is a space before the question mark). Use v for ü, for example lv3 for lǚ, and number 5 for the neutral tone, e.g. ma5 (吗).
- Click the Add Rows button to add more rows(cards). Empty or partially-filled rows will be ignored in the generated flashcards.
- Optionally, change the default flashcard settings. Click the color buttons to change foreground colors for Chinese, English, Pinyin and the flashcard borders.
- Click the Print button to generate a printable version of your flashcards.
For the PDF flashcard sheets with 4 to 10 cards per page, the odd pages contain the questions (Chinese words/phrases) while the even pages contain the definitions and Pinyin. If you print the flashcards on perforated business card paper, disable the page scaling or fit-to-page option on the printing settings to
make the flashcard borders match. You may also need to adjust the horizontal space between two cards and the vertical space between two rows to make the flashcards positioned perfectly on your perforated business card paper. If you print them on a relatively thick paper, check your printer's manual and ajdust your printer settings accordiingly to avoid paper jam.
The generated flashcard PDF files are designed to be printed on duplex (2-sided) printers. If you have a duplex capable printer, simply print them out; if your printer can do single-sided
printing only, follow these steps:
- Take out all the paper from the paper tray of your printer
- Bring up your Printer settings dialog, disable page scaling or fit-to-page option.
- Adjust your printer accordingly if you are going to print on thick or perforated business card paper
- Open the flashcard PDF file with your PDF viewer and press the Print button on your PDF viewer
- Feed a blank sheet (regular or business card paper) into the paper tray of your printer
- Flip the just printed page and feed it into the paper tray
- Remove the just finished page
- Repeat the steps 5-7 until all the pages are printed
If your paper is not pre-perforated, you can cut the flashcards manually with a paper cutter or a pair of scissors.
If you want to generate printable flashcards from a pre-made flashcard set, go to Chinese Flashcards
, load your flashcard set and click the Print
button to create paper flashcards for offline study.
Note that this site uses a pop-up window to display the printable flashcards.If your browser is configured to block pop-ups, you need to allow this site to open pop-ups.